BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Hi, i have come across pico 8 recently and messed around with the edu version. But today i remembered that like 3 years ago i bougt the full thing, i still got all of the files (i found them on my laptop) and it works on my new pc. But i wanted to run pico 8 games on my miyoo mini + (this little linux handheld). There is an emulator for it but its not the best in quality. Oh, and i created this account now becasue i didin't have one, there is no emails from lexaloffle on any of my gmail accounts with the purchase code or something like that. Can anyone help?

P#147059 2024-04-21 11:57

Cart #turiyotuke-0 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About:

This is a small demo for a platformer / speedrun game. This started out as some introductory practice for game dev, but it ended up turning into a whole level. While very unfinished (there's not even music yet!) it's in a playable enough state that I've found it pretty fun to speedrun. Feedback is very much appreciated!

Goal:

There's a finish line at the bottom of the stage; try and reach it as fast as possible! There are doors on the way down that need keys to pass, so try not to miss them as you make you way around. Remember, if you want a fresh start, you can always go back to the beginning by holding the Down key for a few seconds.

Controls:

X - Jump
Z - Slam / Spin
Up - Cancel Spin
Hold Down - Reset Game

While in the air, press Z to quickly spin out of control and slam into the ground. If Up is pressed while in this state, you will pop out and regain control.
(If you want to pop without slamming, you can just hold up before pressing Z - this won't perform the slam, but you'll still get an extra jump!)

If grounded, you can hold the slam button before jumping to fly up in an arc, spinning as if you had slammed from the air - this allows you to gain some extra height by popping out of the spinning state.

When landing while spinning, you can jump again to propel yourself forward! (This is your best way of getting through the level quickly!)

P#147039 2024-04-21 00:52

Cart #conveyor-2 | 2024-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first ever Pico-8 game!
In Conveyor, you play as a little robot that cannot move except for clinging to the conveyor belts above or below you.
Avoid the obstacles, hang on, and persevere!

Controls:
UP - cling to belt
DOWN - sit on belt
X - restart level
Z - begin game

There are options in the menu to mute the music and sfx.

I developed this game in part on my twitch stream!
Lately we've been doing a bit of stumbling around in Picotron, come hang out!

Zeflyn on Twitch!

Thanks for playing!

UPDATE #conveyor-2 : Fixed bug that allowed for infinite respawns on final game screen.

P#147044 2024-04-20 23:46 ( Edited 2024-04-29 17:19)

Descender

Cart #descender-0 | 2024-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Story

Descender is a pico-rogue adventure into the Pico Ruins, the entrance of which was found underneath the ground behind a small house in a small village.

Rumors have been stirring in the town inn of great treasures found within. The ruins are calling your name!

Controls

D-Pad

Use the d-pad to move around and navigate menus.

Start Button

The Start button will enable the Pause Menu. Here you can disable the music amongst other Pico-8 options.

X Button

Hold the X button to ready an arrow. Push a direction on the d-pad while holding the button to adjust your aim. Release to fire the arrow.

Hold the X button and simultaneously press the O button to skip a turn and force the enemy to move.

The X button is also used to leave menus.

O Button

Press O to open your inventory.

Press O to choose an item from your inventory.

About

Descender is a personal experiment of mine to try my hand at game development again after many years of not trying. I did the programming, art, sound fx, and music for the game. The original Rogue and the Mystery Dungeon games were my inspirations for the gameplay. The music tracks were quick little compositions I made on my piano and notated into the Pico-8 editor.

I am running out of tokens, fast, so progress is slowing down. I will try to continue to optimize tokens and work on the following milestones:

• Improved Ending
  • Updated Projectile System
  • More Music
  • More Floors, Items, & Monsters
  • Improved Inventory
  • Refined Gameplay Balance

Thank you for playing!
fdisk

P#146992 2024-04-20 15:22 ( Edited 2024-05-05 14:31)

Cart #somesunrisething-1 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my first project.
Just a nice background with sun on the back.
Inspired by Pico&Chill.

P#147015 2024-04-20 14:49 ( Edited 2024-04-20 16:01)

Cart #doors_quest_demake-0 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Content Warning: Contains violent themes and alcohol consumption.

Hello! This is my first Pico-8 release. It is a demake of Doors Quest Demo, a game I released 6 years ago that was originally made with GameMaker Studio 2.

You gotta go through the door if you wanna win the game. There's just one thing more, you'll need a key to open the door. So you should go through that door and read the words hidden inside. What are you waiting for? I'm just gonna keep typing about the door.

And now's the part where I thank you for playing my weird little game. Thank you.

P#146987 2024-04-20 12:46 ( Edited 2024-04-20 12:46)

The mouse cursor will no longer be visible.
(I also noticed that GIFs were not output properly.)

This phenomenon has been observed in previous versions.
Restarting with the reboot command does not fix the problem, so you need to exit the application once.

The situation when I was checking

• Multiple pico8s were running (other mice were normal)
  • The editor was running for a long time
  • I was using stat() to get the mouse.
  • Sprite sheet was copied from another cart by reload
P#147003 2024-04-20 08:58 ( Edited 2024-04-20 08:58)

Cart #cotg-0 | 2024-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little game for the 1-bit jam. You are a priest for the church of the goat.

Use X/Z to shoot and arrows to move. Use your spell to transform all the animals into goats, the true sacred animal.
Do it 6 times perfectly in a row to do a super spell!

P#146895 2024-04-18 19:44 ( Edited 2024-04-19 05:49)

hello,

So Im making a kinda rpg-topdown-engine-game-thing and I want to have the function for the player to collide with other players. so it looks like this:

But here is the problem!
You see, the player checks if the tile he is about to go to is a wall or another player, if so he goes back (doesn't move). seems ok, right?
NO
players are stored in a big table players={} and the checking process is done in a foreach loop. So when the player below moves up, he sees that there is someone above, he doesn't move, but the upper one moves. Its hard to explain look:

did you see it? when I pressed down only the bottom player moved. Because the upper one (index 1) checks first and sees that there is a player below him, no move. then the bottom one checks and moves.
How can I fix this?

If you have any questions for the code or the game feel free to ask.
Thanks for taking your time to read this :)

P#146889 2024-04-18 18:18 ( Edited 2024-04-24 16:34)

Cart #sqr-0 | 2024-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#146871 2024-04-18 15:14 ( Edited 2024-04-23 10:08)

Cart #hybris_demake_beta1-2 | 2024-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hybris Demake (beta.3)

Bazooka Luca demakes Die drei Muskeltiere's "Hybris - Pride goes before a Fall"

work in progress

CHECK OUT THE ORIGINAL AT itch.io

[16x16]

Hybris Demake (beta.2)

Cart #hybris_demake_beta1-1 | 2024-04-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hybris Demake (beta.1)

Cart #hybris_demake_beta1-2 | 2024-05-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146851 2024-04-18 01:40 ( Edited 2024-05-04 12:36)

Cart #ld55-1 | 2024-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

WIP Post-Jam Ludum Dare 55 - "Summoning"

⬅️ to move wizard left

➡️ to move wizard right

❎ (or x) to shoot your magic

😈 Zap the devils before they get to your level!

🔥 Avoid the fireballs, your magic is powerless against them.

Go for the high score!

P#146850 2024-04-18 00:06 ( Edited 2024-04-20 21:03)

Cart #supernova-0 | 2024-04-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made another!
Its a SUPERNOVA.
i was bored.
i had some extra time,
so BOOM
i made this!
enjoy!

P#146837 2024-04-17 18:34

Cart #kowutgore-0 | 2024-04-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#146817 2024-04-17 09:10

Cart #cozmicchaos-0 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cozmic Chaos

Overview

This is a small wave based Bullet Hell Shmup i developed in order to learn development in pico 8.
I used the Lazy Devs Shmup tutorial series on Youtube for reference, so huge shout out to them.

In this game you will fight through 9 waves of enemies getting progressively tougher before taking on the final boss.

Controls

Arrow keys - Move your ship around.
O Button - Fires your concentrated shot. This is high damage but slows your movement.
X Button - Fires your spread shot. This has a wide range and fast movement speed.
Cancels - Pressing both fire buttons together will perform a bullet cancel however this will cost one full meter, these are essential for high scores.

Pickups

Capsules - These will score a small amount of points and fill your cancel meter.
Chips - These spawn from canceled bullets and give lots of points.

I intend to move on to create a more advanced and fleshed out Shmup in the future, so keep your eyes peeled.
Have fun and please post feedback and high scores in the comments!

P#146781 2024-04-16 18:46 ( Edited 2024-04-16 18:49)

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share a standalone function I've been using in my recent PICO-8 projects called loopi (LoopIndex).

It's designed to loop an index across a specified range based on the elapsed time, making it really handy for animations or any time-sensitive indexing. The function also includes an optional 'invert' feature, which creates a smooth back-and-forth motion.

Here's the snippet (46 tokens):

function loopi(range, delay, invert)
    local idx = flr((time() / delay) % (invert and 2 * (range - 1) or range))
    if invert and idx >= range then
        idx = 2 * (range - 1) - idx
    end
    return idx    
end

Minified (42 tokens):

function loopi(r,d,i)local x=flr(time()/d)%(i and 2*(r-1)or r)return i and min(x,2*(r-1)-x)or x end

Note: If you don't want to tie the timings to the time() output, you can replace it with something else or by adding a new argument - Otherwise, it works nicely as a standalone function :)

Example Usage:

Let's say you want to cycle through sprites at positions 5 to 8 based on time. You can use loopi to calculate the appropriate sprite index:

function _update()
    -- Loop through sprite indexes 5 to 8 every 0.5 seconds without inversion
    sprite_index = 5 + loopi(4, 0.5, false)
end

This setup will continuously loop the sprite index from 5 to 8, changing every 0.5 seconds. If you want the sprites to animate forward and then backward (like a ping-pong effect), just set the invert parameter to true.

Demo:

Cart #loopidemo-0 | 2024-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I'm not sure if there's something similar already out there, but this has been very useful in my latest experiences with PICO-8. I hope you find it helpful too! Feel free to tweak it and share any improvements or uses you come up with.

P#146768 2024-04-16 15:53 ( Edited 2024-04-18 14:16)

Cart #pathofaratron-0 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The game is also available on nusan.itch.io/path-of-aratron

In Path of Aratron, you can send a little demon to visit Dreams. You can control the demon by placing stones on Glyphs.

Each stone is part of a path and will trigger one after the other once you start the summoning ritual.

Solve 25 puzzles of increasing difficulty, you will need to carefully plan ahead and reuse part of your stones, as you don't have an infinite number of them.

This is a programming game inspired by the game Lightbot, it has been made in 72h for Ludum Dare 55

Controls:

• Mouse (recommanded)

• maintain left click on a stone to drag it

• right click on a stone to delete it

• left click on a path to insert an intermediary stone
  • The keyboard can emulate the mouse (key c for left click and v for right click)

• Gamepad also works
P#146737 2024-04-16 08:40 ( Edited 2024-04-16 08:45)

Cart #mouches-1 | 2024-04-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Don’t let flies ruin your sleep. Summon a skeleton and let it throw a book to make silence reign.

With a keyboard, press C to jump and press X to grab and throw the book. On the shelves you can press the bottom button to lower

There are 3 waves, it’s a really short game crafted with pico 8.

It's a post jam version with a few small modifications that I made following comments from ludum dare players :

1. the arrow that indicates the book is still present
  1. When the skeleton is in the summoning point, the flies cannot come, a red square appears to signify this

3.there is a sound when the book falls to the floor or onto a shelf

4.light animation of the witch when summoning

5.Flies change color when they land and before they start they flash

6.The book appears in the same place at the start of each level

Ludum Dare 55 -

Hope you enjoy it.

P#146734 2024-04-16 07:04 ( Edited 2024-04-21 20:01)

Cart #gameoflife1-2 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

There are two modes: running and paused

• Z: Switch between the modes

In running mode (default)

• X: Randomize the cells
  • Left/Right: Adjust the speed of the automation

In paused mode

• X: Toggle cell state
  • Left/Right/Up/Down: Move cursor

Rules

This is a simple implementation of Conway's Game of Life.

Credits

Made by me. My very first cart! Pico 8 is awesome :D

P#146733 2024-04-16 04:54 ( Edited 2024-04-16 05:01)

Cart #hotwax-5 | 2024-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

vvv Ludum Dare jam version here! vvv

Cart #hotwax-3 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(for anyone rating LD games!)

Description:

You are the Wax Whisperer. Your powers may well be unmatched, but some of your enemies are still out there… Not for much longer though, not with what your are about to unleash.

Burn continuous lines of candles to score points! The longer the fire survives the more points it brings you, and the closer it brings you to unfathomable power from this mysterious temple you’ve found your way to!

Controls:

• left & right to move pieces horizontally
  • down to make the pieces fall faster
  • up to make pieces fall instantly as far as it can
  • Z & X (or A & B on gamepads) to rotate pieces
  • You can select a difficulty on the titlescreen! (start with normal!)

Notes:

This is my entry for Ludum Dare 55! The game was entirely made within the 72 hours of the jam category... (ran out of time for the 48h compo)

But the token limit got me! I started hitting it a couple of hours before the end and fighting it left me no time for adding audio. (not that there would have been any tokens for those music() and sfx() calls anyway!) Oh well! I'll try to add some soon in a post-jam version!

Revisions 1,2 & 3 are just me fixing errors and crashes, nothing was added or changed from the original jam work in the game.

The postjam version is here!
Here's the full changelog:

v1.0 - postjam:

• Added audio!
  • Controls now appear on title screen
  • Reworked interface
  • Reworked and optimized the true ending
  • Fixed overlap checking on score texts
  • Fixed overlap checking on candle light vfx
  • Reworked the flames slightly
  • Reworked scoring: now depends on level, is less exponential, continuous burn value capped to 10
  • Bombs now set fire to neighboring candles with a value equal to the number of block destroyed
  • Doubled the bonus for fires going out without getting snuffed
  • Level-up gets a little animation in the score interface
  • Fixed bombs exploding instantly if catching fire when you place them
  • Reworked gravity speed acceleration so that it's not exponential anymore
  • Flame frequency now goes down slower by half
  • Made soft-drops a little faster
  • Added a highscore for each difficulty
  • Doubled the score goal for the true ending
  • Candles appear 1 block higher than they used to
  • Added fade animation on starting the game
  • Added game illustration as cart image

Gameplay gif:

P#146729 2024-04-16 02:00 ( Edited 2024-04-27 10:51)
View Older Posts